Translate

Former U.S. coach Greg Ryan denies shoving Hope Solo in '07

In her new book SOLO: A Memoir of Hope, U.S. women's soccer goalie Hope Solo makes a strong claim that former coach Greg Ryan shoved her during a meeting at the 2007 World Cup.

Ryan, now the women's soccer coach at Michigan, refuted Solo's claim in a statement released Tuesday.




CAPTION
By Joe Scarnici, Getty Images for USOC


"This allegation is completely false," Ryan said. "I did not shove or push Hope as I've been accused in her book. I would have been terminated immediately by USA Soccer had this allegation been true. I have openly discussed the contents of the meeting and this is the first time that this accusation has been brought to light.

"Hope was disappointed that I benched her for the semifinals, but it was the right move for the team. It was discussed with team leaders, and they stood by my decision."

You'll recall Solo was benched in favor of veteran Briana Scurry before the semifinals, and Solo shared exactly how she felt after the 4-0 loss to Brazil, lambasting Ryan for his decision.

"It was the wrong decision. And I think anybody that knows anything about the game knows that," Solo said at the time. "There's no doubt in my mind I would have made those saves. And the fact of the matter is, it's not 2004 anymore. It's not 2004. It's 2007, and I think you have to live in the present."

Now it's 2012, let's live in this present: Solo was phenomenal throughout the London Olympics, so let's continue celebrating the gold medal she and the U.S. women's team brought home.

[USATODAY]

No comments:

Post a Comment