Translate

London 2012 Olympics: USA's Taylor Wins Gold in Men's Triple Jump

Christian Taylor of the US claimed gold in the men's triple jump at the London 2012 Olympics, after recording a seasonal best. Taylor jumped 17.81m in his fourth attempt to stay ahead of compatriot Will Claye (17.62m) and Italian Fabrizio Donato (17.48m), who finished with silver and bronze respectively.

Taylor's first two jumps were both disqualified, as was his sixth, but he kept his head to record 17.15m, 17.81m and 17.55m in his other three. Meanwhile, Claye jumped 17.54m for his second attempt to briefly take the lead. He followed that with jumps of 17.43m, 17.62m, 17.25m and 16.66m. Donato jumped 17.38m, 17.44m, 17.45m and 17.48m and saw his fifth and sixth jumps disqualified.

Taylor, the winner of the same event at the 2011 World Championships in South Korea, dedicated his win to Jonathan Edwards, the world record holder, claiming the retired British athlete had always been an idol.

"I was going for it. I said I was going to go for the world record in front of Jonathan Edwards. He's my idol. He's the best. I watched footage of him last night at the [2000] Sydney Olympics and Atlanta 1996 Games. I'm glad I got to put on a show. My confidence level is off the roof," BBC quoted Taylor as saying. British hopeful Phillips Idowu failed to make the finals after managing only 16.53m in the qualifiers. Still, even if he had qualified, Idowu's seasonal best of 17.31m would have only earned him fifth

No comments:

Post a Comment